|St Thomas’ Hospital
||Waterloo||Major Project Installation team (London & South West Division)||2014 – 2016||£0.3M|
St Thomas’ Hospital, one of the largest teaching hospitals in London, is well known for its prominent location on the opposite bank of the River Thames to the Houses of Parliament on land reclaimed from the river during the construction of the Albert embankment in the late 1860’s.
The Victorian ward pavilions – made popular by Florence Nightingale – are now grade II listed buildings and were refurbished in the 1980’s. In later years, the newer parts of the building were given a multi-million pound make-over involving the construction of teak stainless steel glazing atrium.
IWP Dansk were involved in the refurbishment of over 300 teak windows installed in the 1960’s and now well passed their sell by date. However, due to the size of the windows and the cost, wholesale replacement was not an option. We worked with the hospital to provide a solution that ensured the windows were brought back to their original condition while maintaining costs.